CHIPS AHOY, SPRINKLER VALVES, AND OWNING UP TO SIN

9 Because I have sinned against him, I will bear the LORD’s wrath… Micah 7:9 (NIV)

They blew it! They had the look of guilt written all over their face. You caught them red handed and they knew they were busted. There was no way to deny it, no way to frame brother or sister, no way to run and hide. You, the parent caught the fruit of your loins, your precious little angel doing exactly what you told them not to do. All those questions rush over you: “This is my offspring? I brought this hooligan into the world? What’s next? Robbing the corner store? Will I have to spend my weekends visiting them in Corcoran?” You look down at them. They look up at you with those little sad eyes. You try not to picture them in one of those orange jumpsuits. You tell them: “I told you not to eat any cookies, yet here you are elbow deep into a box of Chips Ahoy. What do you have to say for yourself?” Was it a moment of inspiration? Was it the words of a true repentant heart? You didn’t know. But what your seven year old says next seemed so sage-like: “You are the just parent, do what seemeth good unto you.”

It’s the attitude of the truly repentant, when afflicted by God or under his punishment: “You are God, I trust you. I did wrong. Do whatever seems right.” The truly repentant owns the just sentence of God, knowing he/she deserves worse.

Last Wednesday I was a witness to such repentance. The kids of nbc were playing soccer in the grassy area outside the church. One of our kids apparently kicked the ball that ended up busting a sprinkler valve and water was gushing. I was called out and trying to muster all the authoritarian presence I could, I asked: “Who’s responsible for this?’’ I expected the normal finger pointing all around. Instead what I got was a young man stepping forward saying: “Pastor, it was me.” It was said with so much confidence. He owned it. I was so proud of him. If only I could have the same honesty before God, so quick to admit, “God it was me. I sinned and I ask you to forgive me. Whatever seems right to you I accept.”

Questions to consider:
Why is it easy to deny or excuse sin?
What does owning our sin do for us (apart from forgiving us)?
What must you confess today?

Comments