THE FUNNY THINGS KIDS SAY

I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ. Philemon 1:6 (NIV)

As the senior pastor of my church I’ve taken the opportunity to teaching the kids Wednesday night class a couple of times.  I did it for several reasons:  #1.  I love kids.  They’re cute, ask crazy questions, and talk about the funniest things.  #2.  To sharpen my communicating skills.  It’s one thing to share God’s Word with adults who have learned how to sit still but quite another thing to share God’s word in a relevant way to antsy kids.  #3.  It allows me to see NBC from a different vantage point.

The last time I taught I was asked this awesome question:  “Pastor, what do you do?”  “What do you mean?” “My dad has a job.  What’s your job?” “I’m a pastor.”  “You don’t have a real job.”  “I do; it’s being a pastor.”  “What do you do all day?” “Plan, organize, meet with people, pray, bulletins, powerpoint, dream up creative ideas, but mostly I study.”  “For what?”  “For Sunday’s message.  I need to pray and study to find out what God wants me to say.” “I just thought you got up and talked.” “I’m not that good.”

There are so many things that look so much easier from the outside looking in:  parenting, pastoring, quarterbacking (that’s why armchair quarterbacking is a funny thing).  And on the top of the list is sharing your faith.  Nothing will make you explore the heights and depths of your faith quite like sharing it with someone else.  Sharing it forces you to make sense of it not just to share information to others but share it in a way that speaks to their brokenness.  It forces you to open your eyes to a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.

Some of you are missing out on what you truly have in Jesus because you don’t share it with others.  So I encourage you to explain your faith today, share it with someone.

Question:
What do you think the difference is between sharing faith as information and sharing faith in a way that speaks to someone’s brokenness?
Who around you needs to hear about your faith?

Comments