GOOD MANNERS EQUALS MORE COOKIES!

I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers.  Philemon 1:4 (NIV)

As a kid I learned early on that when it comes to the elderly having good manners opens the floodgates of opportunities.  Never fails, I’m at my friend’s grandma’s house and I’d lay it on heavy, “Israel, would you like some cookies?”  “Yes please.  Thank you.”  Apparently they weren’t use to hearing good manners so they’d offer more, “Here, just have all the cookies.”  Its how mom raised us.  and good manners opened the doors to getting double cookies, an extra piece of pie, more candy, more tokens for the arcade, more money for the corner store, and a “you’re welcome back anytime.”  The only one that didn’t like the manners was the friend I was with.  Apparently they didn’t want grandma to get use to hearing it.  I didn’t see the big deal.  It was just showing kindness and kindness was being rewarded.  It was being considerate to those that give you things they didn’t owe you.  Why not show appreciation.

The rules of manners are simple:  If you’re offered something you’d like or want you simply say, “Thank you.”  You don’t like it say, “No thank you.”  Simple.  “Israel, would you like some oatmeal cookies?”  “Yes, thank you.”  “Israel, would you like some chocolate?”  “No thank you.”  “Israel, would you like some tea?”  “Thank you.”  “How about some coffee?”  “No thank you.”  “Israel, would you like a dog?”  “Yes, please.”  “How about a cat?”  “No thank you.”  Simple.

Now let me change gears here to set up today’s thought (Hopefully the change of gears isn’t’ too drastic for you):  Is your life a “thank you” or a “no thank you” to other people?  Are people wanting more of you or less of you?  Are you a blessing to others or a drain?  When I read today’s verse I was convicted with this thought:  Live your life in a way that when people pray for you they thank God.  How?  Bless people.  Love people.  Encourage people.  Help people.  But we often do the opposite.  We use people, we’re negative, we put down, we discourage, and we take.  “No thank you.”

Questions to consider:
What does a life others would thank God for look like?
Take an honest look at your life:  Do you drain others or bless others?  In what ways do you drain?  In what ways to you bless?
What must change in you so you can bless others more?

Comments