MY PRIEST PROBLEM

9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 Peter 2:9 (NIV)

When I was going to Bible School and would come home for Christmas break I’d be asked by co-workers, “Where are you going to school?”  I’d say, “It’s a Bible School in the LA area.”  And they’d follow that up with, “Are you studying to be a priest or something?”  “No, I’m protestant!”  I’d say which, looking back, I don’t think they understood because someone else would come up to me and say, “I hear your studying to be a priest.  That’s a noble thing.  Do you think you could perform my daughters wedding ceremony?”  “NO!  I’M PROTESTANT!  And yes I can perform her ceremony.”

And every so often at our churches' dinner and movie night I get asked, “Father, what time is mass?”  “I’M PROTEST…never mind…10 am.”

For whatever reason, I didn’t like the idea of being considered a priest.  But the truth is I am a priest and guess what?  You are too!

What Peter is saying is that God is using us to construct a living church so we can serve in it as holy priests.  For some of us being a priest may be the furthest thing from our minds, but it’s not far from God’s.  In first Peter we’re called “holy priests,” “a royal priesthood,” in Exodus a “kingdom of priests,” and in Isaiah the “priests of God.”

I want you to say these next four words out loud:  “I AM A PRIEST!”  That may make you uncomfortable because we have a picture in our mind of what a priest is and we don’t see ourselves fitting it.  But a priest is simply a mediator, a go between.  I've read that the Pope, who is the head priest of the Roman Catholic Church, is called in Latin pontifex –bridge builder.  And that’s what you and I are called to be; we find ways to build bridges between Christ and people who need Christ.  We bring people to Christ and bring Christ to people.

Questions to Consider:
Why do you think it's difficult to see yourself as a priest?
Who around you needs you to be a bridge builder?
Imagine:  What would your church look like if we all lived like priests?

Comments