PARENT-ISMS

Shepherd your people with your staff… Micah 7:14 (NIV)

“Parent-isms!” We’ve all heard them. And admit it; some of you have used them, right? A “parent-ism” is a line like: “Money doesn’t grow on trees…” Or “Do you think I’m made of money?” Or what about “I will pull this car over…” “When I was your age…” “Ask your mother.” “If all your friends are doing it then go live with their parents!” Or my personal favorite: “If everyone was jumping off a bridge would you jump off a bridge too.” That one’s classic.

And how can we forget the granddaddy of all “parent-isms?” “This is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you.” You remember that one? Back then it made no sense, did it? We were like: “If it hurts you, here’s an idea--let’s not do it. I don’t want to see you hurt, Mom/Dad. I’m concerned for your well being. You don’t need to be traumatized that way. Let’s put the belt down and relax for a moment. PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE BELT. EVERYBODY TAKE A DEEP BREATH HERE. NO ONE HAS TO GET HURT HERE TODAY.”

How about this one: “I’m spanking you because I love you.” That definitely made no sense to our young minds, “Then please, Mom/Dad, don’t love me so much! I’d be fine if you just had a strong ‘like’ for me.”

Micah says, “Shepherd your people with your staff…” It’s easy to imagine this beautiful picture of a shepherd standing tall and proud with a towering staff in hand, looking so authoritarian. Gathered around him is a group of obedient sheep, peaceful. Not a very accurate picture. That staff is often used to pull wayward sheep closer to the shepherd because they’re not so obedient. And that staff has another use. It’s a weapon of sorts. Not just for wolves but for the sheep. Because sheep bite. In fact the shepherd staff in the Bible is a symbol of discipline. And just like any good parent, God’s discipline is a form of His love for us. He says: if they violate my decrees and fail to keep my commands, I will punish their sin with the rod, their iniquity with flogging; but I will not take my love from him, nor will I ever betray my faithfulness. Psalms 89:31-33 (NIV)

Comments