MOVIE TRAILERS

The word of the Lord that came to Hosea son of Beeri Hosea 1:1a (NIV)

I love going to the movies.  We don’t get there as often as I like, but often enough.  To me the best part of the movie has really nothing to do with the movie; it’s not the popcorn, or the comfy chairs.  I love the trailers.  In fact, if I’ve arrived late and the trailers have passed, I feel I’ve missed the movie.  I love to see what’s “coming soon!”  I love to see the highlights (that’s ultimately what trailers are) of what new creative things the movie makers have thought of next.  One trailer after another and I watch in amazement.  Then they’re over.  It’s the saddest part of my movie outing.  I want to yell, “That’s it?  That’s all you got (but it don’t because I’m not a movie talker)?”  Then I’m ready to go.  Yet Sarah likes to stick around for the movie (what’s that about?).

Hosea begins with some “trailers” that come in the form of 2 names that wet our appetite for what’s “coming soon!”  “Hosea” which means “salvation” or “the Lord saves.”  “Beeri” means “welling forth” or “fountain.”  Hosea is Beeri’s son which basically means he came from Beeri (don’t let me loose you).  So you put it all together and it goes like this:  Salvation from a fountain or salvation gushing forth or welling forth from a fountain.  Or as Isaiah put it:  “With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.” (Isaiah 12:3)  These names hint at what God would do in sending Jesus:  From God, from the Fountain of Life, Living Water (Jesus) was coming.  What’s also interesting is “Hosea” and “Jesus” (and even “Joshua”) are the same name in Hebrew.  All meaning the Lords saves.

My point:  Hosea’s life pointed to Jesus.  Does yours?

Questions to consider:
What does a life that points to Jesus look like?
What must you personally do to live a life that points to Jesus?

Comments