THE PINK BUTTERFLY WALLET

19 I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it back—not to mention that you owe me your very self. Philemon 1:19 (NIV)

I own a priceless object.  You can’t have it nor buy it.  It’s not for sale.  You don’t have enough money anyway…again it’s priceless.  You can beg.  You can plead.  You can bribe.  You can whine.  You can threaten.  You can pout.  You still can’t have it.  Its priceless and its mine.

You want it now don’t you?  The fact that it’s not an option for you to have causes you to want it.  Am I right?  I thought so.  You still can’t have it.  You can’t even look at it.  It’s mine and it’s priceless.

Worth is a powerful magnetic force.  There are things we’ll never part with because they’re priceless to us.  Our heart has this unyielding kung fu grip.  Some things will never break free while others the grip wanes with time.  Like some marriages.  It begins:  “I’ll never leave you.  We’re in this till the end.”  Then later, “I’m leaving you.  I said I’d be with you till the end.  This is the end.  You’ve got to go.”  Sad.

Let me ask you:  What worth does your salvation hold?  What are you willing to trade your relationship with God for?  That’s ultimately what Paul is saying to Philemon.  “I’m asking you to welcome Onesimus as you would me.  If he owes you anything, charge me.  Do this for me.  And, remember, you owe me.  It was my labor that lead you to come to Christ.  What is that salvation worth to you?  If it’s priceless then forgive Onesimus.”

Again I ask you, what’s your salvation worth?  Are you willing to trade unforgiveness for it?  So many of us do.  Some trade their relationship with God for idols, pet sins, busyness, anger with God…the list can go on and on.

I just want you to consider:  You’ve been given an indescribable gift in Jesus.  A life changing, hope filling, life saving, purpose giving gift.  He’s priceless.  Don’t trade Him for anything.  Nothing on this earth is worth Jesus.

Questions to consider:
What in your life, good or bad fights for the place that Jesus deserves in your life?
Why is Jesus more important?
What can you do today to grow your love for Jesus?

Are you wondering what that priceless object is that I told you about that you secretly covet now?  It’s kind of a funny story.  It’s a pink (yes I said pink) leather wallet with a butterfly on the front.  Why does a guy like me own such a ridiculous item and why is it priceless?  When I was in Bible school, I was in the choir one summer and we went on tour.  Sarah and I sat next to each other on the tour van.  We weren’t dating just good friends.  I secretly liked her (and of course she secretly liked me.  How could she not?).  We began this gag where we’d stop in a town and find the most embarrassing thing to buy as a gift for each other (early attempts at flirting, apparently).  One of those gifts she bought was this sad looking, little girls, pink butterfly wallet from Red River, New Mexico and you can’t have it.

Comments