IS GOD SHOWING YOU SOME LOVE?

Gomer conceived again and gave birth to a daughter. Then the Lord said to Hosea, “Call her Lo-Ruhamah, for I will no longer show love to the house of Israel, that I should at all forgive them.
Yet I will show love to the house of Judah Hosea 1:6-7a (NIV)


There is nothing worse than getting busted with Sarah (it happens).  Either I say something that hurts her feelings or I do something stupid (yes, it happens).  And the result is the same:  She shows me no love.  Does she no longer love me?  Even though she may not think so she does (how could she not?).  But the expression of love goes AWOL.  I can’t expect a smooch or a hug in times like that.  No back rub, no “can you get me some water from the fridge,” and I dare not ask, “What’s for dinner?”  Fellowship is broken.  As long as I haven’t repented from my ways the relationship will remain strained.

The same goes with God.  God tells Hosea to name his daughter Lo-Ruhamah (a prophetic object lesson).  An accurate translation is “not pitied” or “to not show mercy.”  Israel can’t live in blatant rebellion to God and except Him to shower love and blessings and mercy on disobedient children.  This didn’t change God’s feelings of love, just His expression of love.

You need to know that God loves you.  That will never change.  What may change is the expression of love.  Judah received love and mercy because of their worship of the true God (which has less to do with singing but has everything to do with a heart submitted to God).

Do you feel the love?  If not search your heart.  Is there an offense that needs to be repented of?  Is fellowship with God broken?  Come clean.  God is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Questions to consider:
Why do you think God wouldn’t show mercy to someone who’s living in disobedience?
Judah experienced the love of God because of their worship of the true God.  What would that look like coming from your life?

Comments