MINI-ME

“Say of your brothers, ‘My people,’ and of your sisters, ‘My loved one.’
Hosea 2:1 (NIV)

“You’re going to be a father!”

I can imagine that those are the greatest words to hear (unless they are said outside of the context of God’s plan). Imagine, to help bring life into this world, you have offspring, a "mini-me” unleashed on the planet. It’s the greatest thing ever! Or is it? Another mouth to feed, what if you’re a bad dad, what if they’re terminally ill, what if they develop your bad habits, what if they’re an ugly baby, what if they grow up to be a mass murderer, what if they yell at you or say that they hate you, what if they throw like a girl, what if…

There is a massive difference between being a father and a dad. Any Joe Shmo can father a child but it takes so much more to weather the ins and outs of childhood drama. I can imagine it’s so easy to check out early. Too many do. There is that early joy in knowing your title has been changed to now also include “Father”. But then responsibility comes and that joy can quickly disappear. We love titles without responsibility. But real titles come with responsibilities. I loved the idea of being a pastor (great title) then church drama came (where’d the fun go). I liked the perks of becoming a “husband.” Then Sarah did all these things different than I would (“Where did that come from?”--I thought).

“My people” and “My loved ones.” These are the titles that God gives his children. Great names if we were just recipients in this relationship, passive and idle. But we’re not. With these titles come responsibilities. God’s people act like God’s people. Those loved return love.

Questions to consider:
In a healthy relationship there should always be two sides. Do you think it is easy to be one sided and just receive from God without giving back? Why or why not?
How do God’s people live?

Comments