ISRAEL: THE MUSICAL

15 There I will give her back her vineyards, and will make the Valley of Achor a door of hope. There she will sing as in the days of her youth, as in the day she came up out of Egypt.
Hosea 2:15 (NIV)

I love music and love to sing. Apparently, not all feel the same way. Believe it or not, there are people who don’t care for singing. I think I sing all day. If it’s not a conversation that reminds me of a song I’m making up a song based on a conversation. Everything is a song or potential song for me. If something is funny I’d like to sing about it. If something is sad I want to sing about it. If something brings me great joy I want to sing about it. When I’m depressed I find hope in song. I love singing. So this passage makes sense to me. But as I’ve said not everyone is as easily moved to song as I am. Not everyone lives in a perpetual musical as I do. Not everyone has a song in their heart. So they have to be truly moved, I mean truly moved, to break out in song.

The type of song that she (Israel) will break out in is a responsive song, a choir answering choir, each stirring up the other to praise, and praise echoing praise, as Israel did after the deliverance at the Red Sea: Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the Lord: “I will sing to the Lord, for he is highly exalted...Then Miriam the prophetess, Aaron’s sister, took a tambourine in her hand, and all the women followed her, with tambourines and dancing. Miriam sang to them: “Sing to the Lord, for he is highly exalted.” (Exodus 15:1a, 20-21a)

It’s a responsive song. I’m stirred by what God has done and further stirred by the song of others. I respond by crying out in praise also.

Has God been good to you? Break out in praise. Has He shown Himself faithful? Break out in praise. Has He shown great mercy over your life? Break out in praise. You just might stir someone else to do the same. So my encouragement to you is this: Prepare your heart for this Sunday’s service. Begin to recall all God has done. Then when the time of worship starts poor out your praise. Perhaps your praise will spur others along to do the same. God is worthy of the greatest praise. So give it up.

Comments