JUDGE JUDY

“Therefore I will take away my grain when it ripens, and my new wine when it is ready…
Hosea 2:9a (NIV)

Judge Judy is the best. I love her hardnosed brand of justice. Maybe I shouldn’t admit this but I get a kick out of watching her put clueless people in their place. She says the things we’re thinking but don’t have the opportunity to say. She’s one tough lady. It’s interesting when you see someone smile and their smile seems out of place. For some reason that’s the case when I see Judge Judy smile. It doesn’t seem to belong on her face. A scowl is more appropriate. Regardless of how I feel about J.J. (my new nickname for her) she’s not perfect. At least that was what I thought when I saw a recent episode. Two divorced parents were fighting over a vehicle one parent took from a son who lost his privilege of driving because of irresponsible driving. The other parent didn’t agree with the punishment and being the fact that they had helped pay for the vehicle they wanted to play the “cool parent” and return the vehicle back to their bad driving son. So what did J.J. do? She gave the kid the car back. She didn’t want to but the law forced her too. I was frustrated with her ruling.

I think parents should be able to punish their kids by taking things away from them. Sometimes this is the only way to get through to kids. It’s you speak a language they can understand. It’s a language they sometimes “get” better than mere words. You can correct all you want but some kids won’t get it until they lose something.

God shows us that His gifts come from Him two ways: 1.  By giving them when we desperately need them and 2.  by taking them away when we forget Him. It may seem harsh, but it’s the only way some of us will look up. As they use to say: "God taketh away all, that they who knew not the Giver through abundance, might know Him through want."

Questions to consider:
In your own words explain the bolded sentence.
Has God needed to take something away from you? If so what and why?
Did you look up or get more frustrated with Him?
What is the proper response when God takes something from us?

Comments