PLAYA! PLAYA!

16 “In that day,” declares the Lord,
“you will call me ‘my husband’; you will no longer call me ‘my master.’ 17 I will remove the names of the Baals from her lips; no longer will their names be invoked. Hosea 2:16-17 (NIV)

Sarah and I have a new catch-phrase: “PLAYA.” It’s “beach” in Spanish. What’s funny to us is that it almost sounds like the Hip Hop version of “Player,” a gentleman that has skills with the ladies. So for some reason we find that really funny: “PLAYA! PLAYA!” I guess you’d have to be there.

What does that have to do with today’s verse? Great question. It’s the danger of saying one word while thinking of another. I’m saying “beach” but thinking “Hip Hop catch-phrase”-- “PLAYA! PLAYA!”

Still wondering what that means for today’s verse? I thought so. God doesn’t want to be called “master.” The only problem is that the word “master” in Hebrew is Baali which literally means my Baal, or my lord. Baal is also a name of one of the idols Israel was serving instead of God. God didn’t want to be called Baal (lord) even if it was meant in a positive way, just in case, by Israel calling Him Baal, they would be thinking of their former “lover”.

God hates idols that much. Do you feel the same?

Questions:
Why does God hate idols?
Why should we feel the same?
What idol do you either need to deal with now, or do you often have to deal with?

Comments