THE SILENT TREATMENT

21 “In that day I will respond,” declares the
Lord—“I will respond to the skies, and they will respond to the earth;22 and the earth will respond to the grain, the new wine and oil, and they will respond to Jezreel. Hosea 2:21-22 (NIV)

Ever use the silent treatment with someone you need to talk to? Example: “I’m not talking to Mom because I’m mad at her. I’m not talking to her until I’m good and ready. That will show her. Wait a second…I need some lunch money. Oh, man! What am I going to do? How am I going to get lunch money from her without talking to her? And what’s for dinner tonight? I need to know. I’m so hungry. And I need her to wash my uniform for tomorrow. And I’ve got this permission slip she needs to sign for tomorrow. And…” The silent treatment doesn’t work with someone you need things from.
The same is true with a broken relationship with God. You need Him. Not talking to the One who’s your Source is a bad idea.

Israel turned from God so God removed His blessing, His supernatural favor from Israel. Nothing worked for them. They were empty, lost and broken. It proves that when God curses someone you’ve got nothing. So when they finally turn to God, He responds by jump starting the engine of prosperity (Hosea 2:21-22). The lesson is an important one: No one can curse who God has blessed. And no one can bless who God has cursed. He controls it all. There is no escaping the providence of God. You want favor you must go through Him. But when He does bless someone…they need to prepare for an explosion of favor…a waterfall of provision…a tidal wave of blessing…pressed down, shaken together and running over. A blessing poured out that is more than you can bear.

Questions to consider:
Why can’t anyone curse who God has blessed nor bless who God has cursed?
What must you do to be in a place where God can bless you?

Comments