MELTDOWN IN TARGET (21 days of fasting and praying edition)

Day 10

Who knows? He may turn and relent and leave behind a blessing—grain offerings and drink offerings for the Lord your God. Joel 2:13

Ever not get what you wanted but got what you needed instead?

I was walking through Target a month back and heard a little girl having a serious meltdown.  Poor girl sounded like she’d lost her mind.  Reminded me of the girls on the front row at Beatle concerts back in the day, there was a lot of screaming and crying.  I didn’t go to see what was happening on purpose but I caught a glimpse of the action on my way to grabbing some Quaker Oats.  I saw a girl flat on her face being drug by the arm by a mom who had lost the battle.  In between the screams and cries I heard:  “I want it, NOW!”

I can’t help when witnessing something like this to go back in time and remember how Mom dealt with us.  I may ask, beg, or cry for a toy.  She had no problem giving me not what I wanted but what I needed.  You know what I’m talking about.  Let’s just say it rhymes with banking.  And I’m a better man today because of it.

During this time of fasting we’re connecting with God believing in Him for some amazing things in our lives, homes, church, and community.  But there’s a healthy, proper mindset:  God doesn’t owe us, nor do we deserve it.  In fact, some of us are the cause of our condition.  We deserve calamity yet He’s so rich in mercy that not only does He relent from sending it, He often is gracious in leaving a blessing as well.  He’s that Good.

Comments