REND, RETURN, RELENT (21 days of fasting and praying edition)

Day 9

Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity. Joel 2:13

Three words jump out to me:

1. Rend:  to tear something into pieces with force or violence

Ever lose something of great importance?  I have.  I’ve bee know to “tear” my house apart, turning everything up-side down to find it.

True fasting causes me to tear my heart, searching for something, anything that dishonors God.  Rending our hearts is an internal act.  He’s more concerned with what’s happening on the inside rather than the outward act of giving up a meal.

2. Return:  to come back to a former place, position, or state

Ever blow it real bad growing up and have to return home to Mom or Dad not knowing what’s waiting for you when you came home?

Many get a bit apprehensive when returning to the Lord.  Especially when you’ve blown it bad or it its been a long time since you connected.  What kind of welcome would you get?  Angry or warm? Joel settles our fears with these 2 worlds:  “Gracious” and “Compassionate.”

3. Relent:  abandon a harsh intention or cruel treatment

My sinful ways, my godless ways my God-disconnected ways have a natural result—calamity.  But if I search my heart in an attempt to root out anything offensive to the Lord and return to Him, calamity is abandoned.

Perhaps we’re living in calamity today.  Search your heart and connect with the Source of Life today.

Comments