CRYING SHEEP (LESSONS FROM IRELAND)

Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there. Matthew 19:13-15

As I’ve written before in this blog, Sarah and I were blessed with this amazing trip to Ireland last year.  Our first night in Ireland was spent at a B&B in County KilKenny (which sounds like a horrible place if your name is Kenny).



It was this amazing place nestled in a valley of lush green countryside.  Everywhere, on every green hill surrounding this B&B were these moving cotton balls with 4 legs—sheep. 



I’d never been around sheep and quickly noticed them to be noisy:  “eeeeeeeeeed!” “eeeeeeeeeeed!”  That’s totally what it sounded like:  “eeeeeeeeed!”  I leaned over to my father-in-lay, Ed, and said:  “I think they’re calling you.”

The “Ed” calls went on as I showered, as I climbed into bed, and all night long as I TRIED to sleep, dumb sheep! I understand that’s harsh, but I was trying to weather the 8 hour time difference with grace and I was losing the fight.

The next morning we went down for breakfast and the lady who runs the B&B asked:  How was your night?
“Bed’s comfortable!” I politely answered.
She then proceeded to apologize for the sheep.  She explained that all the sheep crying wasn’t normal, but that the day before, all the lambs had been taken away and the sheep cried all night long calling for their little lambs.

I felt so bad.  No “dumb sheep” here; they were just broken-hearted parents crying out for their children.  I caught this amazing picture of the parent’s heart.  I couldn’t help but think of how my mom wouldn’t let heaven sleep because she  refused to let her children be stolen, killed or destroyed by the enemy.  All three of us serve the Lord today because of a mom who had this stubborn, “over my dead body,” mindset.  She was a mom who refused to let up.

Matthew 19 tells us of an incident where parents were bringing their children to Jesus.  The disciples thought that Jesus was too important or busy to be bothered by some sticky fingered kids to the point that the Bible says they rebuked the parents.  But Jesus insisted, calling the little children to Him.

Parents, may I encourage you to insist, stubbornly, refusing to give up in prayer that #1 Jesus would call your child to Himself. #2 That no one (including any demon in hell) would hinder you’re “little lambs” from coming near to Jesus.

Comments