BED HEAD



I use to sport a faux-hawk.

That all changed the day I volunteered in Mrs. Davis kindergarten class.  All the 6-year-old boys had faux-hawks.  I was forced to take a long hard look at myself that day.  I’m a 30+ year-old man with the same hair cut as kindergartners.  A change was urgent.

Recently I decided to have it real short on the sides and grow it real long on the top.  I now comb the top to the side (I’ve gone back to my 6-year-old hair style).  This has create a new problem:  The worst case of morning bed head.  The top sticks straight up in the air.  6-8 inches of untamable man mane.  Now that it’s grown out, I can’t seem to reel it in.  No amount of hair goo seems to be able to wrestle it down.

Now my mornings are met with snickering.  I walk by Sarah, my wife and the giggling begins. My dog, Gracie doesn’t say anything but I know she’s thinking it.  I see it in her eyes.  Seems like she now would rather have Sarah walk her out in the morning just in case one of her little doggy friends, next door catches a glimpse of her owner with the crazy hair.  Losing respect in my own house because of unruly hair!

I’ve discovered I have the same issue with my flesh, the earthly things lurking within me.  The more I allow it to grow, the more I can’t reel it in.  the more I feed it, the stronger it gets.  It reminds me of an old saying:  “If you dance with a bear, don’t complain if it wants to lead.”  The more I give way to my flesh, the more it wants to lead the direction of my life.

Paul tells us:  So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world. Colossians 3:5
Okay, Paul.  But how (talk back to my Bible often)?

In verses 1-2 he tells us…
#1  CONSUME YOURSELF WITH HEAVEN
Lift your gaze upward.  When we’re consumed with the world (a downward gaze) we get distracted and burdened with its brokenness.

In verses 12-15 he tells us…
#2  CHANGE YOUR CLOTHES
Replace the bad actions with good ones (mercy, kindness, humility, etc.).

In verse 16 he tells us…
#3  FILL YOUR LIFE WITH GOD’S LIVE CHANGING WORD
We’re a product of what we fill our life with.

Comments