SIRI



My iPhone died several weeks ago.  It was a sad moment, but just a moment because my next thought went to getting something new. So Sarah and I went to our local AT&T store to get new phones.  We settled on the new iPhone 6.  It comes with some new bells and whistles (not literally).  

In the past, when I didn’t know something, needed help or wanted to fact check a friend’s foolish arguement I’d “GOOGLE” it.   But with my new phone I was introduced to a brand new friend:  Siri!  With one click of a button I have instant help from a soothing-voiced lady on my phone.  “GOOGLE” had been traded in for a new model.

That week weather was changing and Sarah and I decided it was time to turn on the air conditioner.  So, like every other year we’re trying to remember what’s the recommended temperature to set your thermostat on in the summertime.  She said, “You should ‘GOOGLE’ it!”  “I have a new friend.” I said.  “We’ll ask Siri!”

Me:  “Siri, What should I set my air conditioner to during the summertime?”
Siri:  “Go nuts!  Almonds are an amazing snack!”
Me:  “What temperature should I set my thermostat to during the summer?”
Siri proceeded to tell me about chocolate being a great snack as well.  I was concerned at that point.  She wasn’t acting herself.”
Me:  “Siri, are you okay?”
Siri:  “I can’t answer that question at this time.”
I lost respect for Siri that day and me and “GOOGLE” are friends again.

When you don’t know what to do, do you at least know where to go for an answer?  And is it credible, reputable, and right?  For example:  If you can’t find a bathroom and you really need to go, you wouldn’t stand in the nearest DMV line to ask for direction, right?  If your car is acting up, you wouldn’t pull up to the nearest Taco Bell drive thru and tell them:  “Car’s running funny.  What can you do for me today?”  You wouldn’t push through a crowd of anxious kids to the front of the ice-cream truck line in order to ask driver to examine the rash on your arm and ask, “What kind of ointment would you recommend?”

You:  “Pastor Israel, all that’s absurd.”

I agree!  What’s equally absurd are the places we go for answers to the real  problems we face.  Like going to Tia Guadalupe for marriage advice when she’s on her third marriage.  Or asking your broke buddy for financial advice.  Or asking all your “friends” on FACEBOOK to advice you about a personal matter.  The Bible tells us:  Don’t put your trust in mere humans.  They are as frail as breath.  What good are they?   Isaiah 2:22

Jesus tells us:  I am the vine; you are the branches.  If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  John 15:5
He is the source of life, answers, growth and progress.  We need to remain connected to him.  When we disconnect and search for answers in other places we end up fruitless and with “nothing.”

What’s going on in your life today?  Is there something you need to talk to God about?  
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Philippians 4:6
You can worry or you can pray!

Comments