HULK SHIRT


Several months ago Sarah and I had the niece and nephew over the house for a sleep over.  It was a blast.  I got home from work to the sound of craziness.  I went to the room to change out of my pastor uniform and into the lounge wear.  That evening’s lounge wear included a T-shirt with the Incredible Hulk on it.  I came out and saw the kid’s eating dinner on the dining room table.  My 2-year-old nephew looked at me, then at my shirt and his little angel face turned from innocent to angry.  He yelled, “ROOOOOOAAAAR! The HUUUUUUUUULK!”  He jumped off the chair, ran past me, past the couch, circled back and came for me with a war cry that made me weak in the knees, “ROOOOAAAR! THE HUUUUUULK!”  Like a bull seeing red.  We finally collided, two-year-old fists to gut.  “Whoa! What’s going on here?” is what I was thinking.  How was a simple T an act of war.

When I finally made it to bed that evening and considering the events of that evening I thought about the Hulk shirt battle.  This thought came to mind:  JUST BECAUSE THE HULK WAS ON MY SHIRT, THAT DIDN’T MAKE ME THE HULK.  JUST BECAUSE I KNOW HIM DOESN’T MAKE ME HIM.

The same is true between us and God.  Even though I know God, that doesn’t make me God.  I want to relieve you of some pressure today, THERE IS A GOD AND YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE HIM.  You don’t have to have all the answers, you don’t have to be in control of everything, you don’t need to fix it all, and your not the source.

God put it this way:  For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.  “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

God is nothing like us.  His THOUGHTS are beyond us.  That’s comforting to know.  I need a God with a greater perspective, deeper insight, and wisdom waaaaaay beyond my own.  It’s a lot like rocket science.  If I could understand it, a guy who barely passed Chemistry with a C (barely), it be too simple and we shouldn’t be blasting people into space.  Rocket science needs to be so vast and beyond me; something few could actually “get.”  If I understand God, He’s too small.

God is nothing like us.  He’s WAYS are beyond us as well.  Thank Him for that.  If I were God, I would have killed everyone off a long time ago:  “You want to use MY NAME in vain?  That’s a thunderbolt for you!  You want to be disobedient to ME?  Thunderbolt for you as well!  You all keep it up.  I’ve got plenty of thunderbolts to go around.”  His ways are nothing like ours. So much love and forgiveness.  So much power and possibility.  My bag of tricks are a joke compared to the ocean of His resources.

My encouragement to you today is to yield to Him, the Source.

Comments