FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS



We don’t handle pain well.

Our idea of discomfort is not getting our order right at the local burger shack:  “It was suppose to be a triple cheese burger, HOLD the cheese!”  Discomfort is not having enough room in the refrigerator for all the groceries you bought:  “We’re living like Neanderthals here with this tiny fridge!”  “Suffering” for us is finding out Dad and Mom were “too cheap” to get us the iPhone 6:  “Everyone knows the iPhone 5 is subpar!”  “Sacrifice” for us is having the air conditioner set at 78 degrees:  “How can I sleep with my blanket in this oven of a house?”  Our “pain” is Wi-Fi dead zones, no one “LIKING” our last Selfie (and how could they not when my pout was so fierce), or sleeping in too long that you miss the McDonalds breakfast menu.

I’ve come to the conclusion that our pain threshold is quite low.  What we consider “the end of the world” is a minor bump in the road.  Last year on my trip to Haiti I got a great picture of being without as we visited an orphanage in Port a Prince.  A local lawyer opened a place for street kids who lost their parents in the earthquake.  There was little food, little clothing, a lot of kids, and a lot of happiness.  They had nothing but still sang joyfully:  “Jesus loves me, this I know.  For the Bible tells me so.  Little ones to Him belong.  They are weak but He is strong!”  It messed me up.  I lost the right to complain that day.  

Suffering and self denial is a major part of following Jesus.  And yet we’re so bad at it  Jesus put it this way…

If anyone…
The invitation is for anyone.

…would come after me, let him deny himself…
It’s about saying “no” to self.  That’s not comfortable.

…and take up his cross daily…
Can someone say: “OUCH!”

…and follow me. Luke 9:23

Jesus is saying that his followers are known for their willingness to walk away from sin, selfish pursuits, and anything else that would compete with His Lordship over our lives in order to follow Him.  Walking away from death to follow after life.  Putting to death the old man so Christ can live through me.  

The question I’ve struggled with lately is this:  If I’m not sacrificing in my life am I following Him.  Carrying a cross and sacrifice go hand in hand.  Comforts aren’t the enemy.  Pursuing them instead of Him is the issue.  What are you pursuing today?

Comments