HIDE AND SEEK



You can’t hide from God.  In fact, He’d be the worst to play hide and seek with.  Can you imagine it, Him counting:  “…9, 10!  READY OR NOT HERE I CO—THERE YOU ARE!”

I want to take you back in time when you were a wee lad/lady.  Remember when you discovered the cookies were kept in the cookie jar?  You plotted the perfect heist.  When no one was looking those cookies would be introduced to your tummy; their days were numbered.  The coast was clear.  Stealthy you tip toed into the kitchen, quietly removing Cookie Monster’s ceramic head and behold cookie heaven:  “Munch, munch, nibble, nibble.”  Cookie after cookie consumed in minutes.  All that’s left is a counter of crumbs and a decapitated ceramic Cookie Monster.  But now the tough part begins—how do you play this off?  How do you lay low until the “heat” cools down? Can you play off innocence?  The questioning begins.  Mom:  “Did you eat all the cookies?”  You push out the most surprised look you can muster:  “Me?  Where were these said ‘cookies,’ Mom?  I assure you I have no idea what you’re referring to.”  Mom:  “Are you sure?”  You:  “I’m pretty sure I saw brother acting suspicious near the cookie jar.  You should keep an eye on him.  I’ve never trusted him.”  Mom:  “Go into the bathroom and look into the mirror.”  And what does the mirror reveal?  Rats! Betrayed by a crumb filled shirt and chocolate chips smeared around my mouth.  How was it that Mom always knew?

You think Mom was good and always knowing what you were up to, God’s better.  He’s got you figured out.  He knows you inside and out.  Your exposed before Him.  Your “cover up” has been uncovered.  Intimidating, isn’t it?

Jesus put it this way in Revelations:  I know your deeds… Revelations 3:15 (NIV)
I like the way the Message paraphrases it:  I know you inside and out… Revelations 3:15 (Msg)

So what does an all-knowing God do with all that information?  Because besides being all-knowing He’s also all-powerful.  That’s a scary thought.  Not only does He know every bad thing I’ve ever done but He’s also able to dispense some serious payback.  Let me put it this way:  Be happy I’m not God.  Because if it were me, knowing everything and powerful enough to do something about it, I’d be throwing lightning bolts at all of you:  “Using my name in vain?  There’s a bolt for you!  I saw what you did in private, sicko!  You get a bolt as well!  Are you seriously going to lie about that?  Lighting bolt!  I can keep this up all day, lightning bolts for everyone!”  What’s amazing about God is that besides being all-knowing and all-powerful, He’s also all-loving.  With what He knows He deals with us as any loving parent would.  He doesn’t punish; He disciplines.  Our punishment was already placed on Christ on the cross.  Discipline is different.  He’s not trying to “take you out.”  He’s trying to correct us so we can be better.  He says:   Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. Revelations 3:19-20 (NIV)

Comments