PURPLE MARIACHI KAZOO




When I was a kid I hung out with my cousin, Nathan all the time.  We were at our grandparents’ house one day and noticed that my grandfather had a large stack of flattened, huge, cardboard boxes in the front yard.  I’m not sure who came up with the idea but we thought:  “Cardboard?  Got the perfect idea!  Let’s make a large boat (I’ve never claimed to have been a smart kid)!”  So, armed with cardboard, twisty ties (that’s right, I said twisty ties), and our amazing genius, we began our boat making business.  I’ll never forget that moment when grandpa came by to see what we’re up to.  We explained our lofty goal.  Looking back, I have to give my grandfather some amazing props—he didn’t laugh at us (I would have laughed in younger me’s face).  He smiled, encouraged us, and left us to our construction project (My grandfather was always the greatest champion of our dreams).  No one could stop us:  We had the support of each other, we had grandpa’s approval, we had plenty of twisty ties, and a kick-bottom plan.  The one thing that stopped our plan was one small oversight:  When the boat finally touched the water of grandpa’s pool, let’s just say that no amount of twisty ties could save what was left of our creation.


When I was a student at Tioga Middle School my 8th grade year, I was voted student body president.  My administration had big plans:  changing school colors, beef up our weak, wimpy looking mascot (our mascot at the time was the saddest looking Indian.  Not the kind of mascot that brought fear to our opponents in sports), and better the snacks in the snack bar.  But I had higher plans.  Tioga Middle School presidency was the small time.  That year the local news came and interviewed us about what we wanted to be when we grew up.  My answer:  “When I grow up I want to be governor of California.”  Spoiler alert:  I never made it.


When I was a youth pastor, several youth and I decided that it was time for us to make it big as the greatest Christian Rock Band in the history of Christian Rock Bands.  We had come up with the perfect name:  PURPLE MARIACHI KAZOO!  What does it mean?  I don’t know.  It didn’t matter.  It was awesome!  We were passionate and readying ourselves for life on the road and sold out arenas.  One minor problem stopped our plans—none of us played instruments.  Needless to say Purple Mariachi Kazoo isn’t playing a reunion tour these days.  The plan was solid.  The follow through just never followed through.


The wisdom of Proverbs tells us:  Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.  Proverbs 19:21


I can fight it all I want.  I can try to force it all I want.  I can plead with God that my idea is better than His, all I want.  But my small plans, small dreams, small agenda is nothing to what God’s purposed.  I’ve come to the realization that His purpose is best.  The quicker we tune into God and His purpose, the sooner we save ourselves a lot of trouble and heartache.  Let me ask you today:  What plan are you gripping onto that you need to let go of to make room for God’s purpose, His best?


I end today with the words of a song I remember from my youth.  The song is called “The Dreams I Dream for You,” by Avalon.  It’s written from the perspective of God speaking to us.  You may not know the melody, but as you read, just imagine a purple kazoo playing a mariachi melody in accompaniment:


The dreams I dream for you
Are deeper than the ones you're clinging to
More precious than the finest thing you knew
And truer than the treasures our pursue
Let the olds dreams die
Like stars that fade from view
Then take the cup I offer
And drink deeply of
The dreams I dream for you

Comments