STINK-EYE



Last year we finally did it! It was long overdue!  Finally, New Beginnings Church building got the outside paint job it needed.  We were blessed with a family from a local, sister church who donated their time and painting skills so our old building could look young and fresh again.

We were at the tail end of the project, spraying our final wall when a BIG truck came driving by.  You know the kind:  pick-up with the oversized tires.  It was driving away when it suddenly stopped, went in reverse, stopped on a dusty patch across the street from our building, and spun out creating a dust cloud that floated in our direction.  It pealed out and drove away. 

Let me pause here to say this:  I got into ministry because I love people.  I love helping them, sharing hope in their time of need, and helping them become the best version of themselves.  But I was feeling no love this day.  This day I felt what I can only describe as heat rise from my feet and up, up, up until steam was blowing out my hears and truly felt my hair was on fire!  I was flaming mad.  And if it wasn’t for the fact that this family was there (descent church folk who knew I was a pastor) I wanted nothing more than to jump into my Prius (the BEAST of hybrids) and run that truck off the road.  I was angry.  Did they ruin anything  their blatant “act of war”?  No, but that wasn’t the point.  They were evil and my Prius needed to show them what’s up!

I had a tough time cooling down.  Two hours later, still angry, I went to the gas station just down the street from the church and spotted a truck that slightly resembled the evil pick-up that was just asking for a back-side-kicking, Prius style.  So, was it the pick-up?  I wasn’t sure.  But I gave the driver the STINK-EYE just in case.

Now I know what you’re thinking.  I see you!  I feel the sting of your judgmental eyes.  But, come on, we’ve all been there.  Anger is kind of like alcohol in that it has the potential of impeding your judgement and if not reined in can cause you to act out of character. Anger has been known to lash out in violence, break relationships, devalue others, blow small things out of proportion, and lead to a lot of regret.

Paul warns us with these words:  26 “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold. Ephesians 4:26-27

Anger in itself isn’t sin (Both God and Jesus are recorded in scripture being angry) but what we do with that anger can very well be.  When not dealt with properly, when not processed in a healthy way, anger has the potential of giving “the devil a foothold.”  I don’t know about you but I don’t want to give the enemy any space to set up shop in my life.

So, how do I know if my anger has crossed the line and made room for the enemy?  Here’s a list to consider.  Anger crosses the  sin line when:
1. I’m angry and there really isn’t any cause to be
2. The anger grows way bigger than the cause
3. I’m angry at the person and not the offense
4. Anger is accompanied by revenge
5. Anger is cherished and grows because I’m always thinking about it
6. I’m not willing to forgive

So did my anger cross a line that day? Sure did!  Not at all my finest hour.  A humbling indication that God’s still got some work to do in me.

Comments