BLACK EYE



I was at my local coffee shop having a grande green iced tea.  I won't name the place.  I’ll call it Two-Tailed Green Mermaid Coffee Shop.  I noticed a guy walk in.  He was dirty and his clothes were worn.  He approached the couple at the table in front of me.  As he stood there asking for money, I got a clear view of his face (An important point for later in our story).  They said they couldn’t help him.  So he entered the men’s bathroom.  I thought nothing of any of it at the time until another guy tried to enter the men’s room.  He tried to open the door and it was locked.  He waited and waited and gave up.  Soon a group of swat officers entered Starbu… I mean Two-Tailed Green Mermaid Coffee Shop.  One tried to enter the men’s room.  Locked!  He waited a bit then left as well.  45 minutes had passed with no one having a chance for a quick stop in the men’s room.  Finally the manager was notified and she knocked on the door and stated that if he didn’t come out she was unlocking the door.  She was giving him 5 minutes.  She heard no reply.  5 minutes later she came with key in hand and knocked one final time saying:  “I’m coming in.”  But before she could open the door he emerged from his hiding place.  But here’s the thing, he came out different then he went in.  As I said before, I had a clear view of his face before he went in.  Now he had this massive black eye and was swollen on the side of his face that. It wasn’t there before. I’m thinking:  What happened?!  He walks into a, for the most part, safe room, alone and exits beaten up.  It’s the great Two-Tailed Green Mermaid Coffee Shop mystery. 



I thought about how that’s a lot like life.  Have you noticed that we can enter into a relationship, enter into a business agreement, enter into a “fool proof plan,” enter into a season that looks promising only to emerge broken, beaten, wounded, robbed, man-handled, bushwhacked, browbeaten, and wondering:  “Whaaaaaaat haaaaappened?” 



“It seemed so safe.”

“I trusted them with my heart.”

“It was all our savings.”

“They promised they wouldn’t do it again.  But they did it again.”



If you are wounded today, I want to tell you, there is HOPE!  Regardless if it's a self-inflicted wound or if your pain was authored by another, Jesus gives this invitation:  28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28-29



COME…ALL

That’s a wide open invitation.  “He can’t mean me.”  Yes He means you.  You’re part of “ALL!”



I WILL GIVE YOU REST…YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS

Nothing can sooth a restless heart, an anxious mind, a wounded life like the peace of rest for your soul.



LEARN FROM ME…I AM GENTLE

Let’s be honest, some of our pain is because of our willingness to enter situations without thinking.  We jump in for the fun of the NOW without considering the ramifications of the LATER.  We need to learn a better way from a gentle teacher that will lead us away from TROUBLE toward LIFE.



Perhaps you’ve been wounded by life.  Jesus invitation for real soul rest is for you.  Pray now, invite Him into your situation and ask for direction.  He’s a great teacher.  Come, rest, learn.

Comments

Post a Comment