DON'T SAY IT!



Ever been embarrassed by your parents?  It happens right?  I’ve noticed that sayings are cool as long as they stay somewhat obscure.  Once your parents start saying it…it’s not cool anymore.  So, I feel the need, today to help some of you out.  I have a list of sayings to stop saying.  Remove them from your repertoire.  It’s not cool anymore.  Please, let me save you from yourself.

#1.  YOU’RE DA BOMB!
Unless you’re identifying explosives, stop it!

#2.  THAT’S DOPE!
Again, unless you’re identifying marijuana, stop it!

#3.  YOU GO, GIRL!
Unless you really want her to go, stop it!

#4.  Referring to your living space as a CRIB
Disregard if you’re a baby!

#5.  YOLO!
Haven’t heard this one?  It originated in the 2011 song called “The Motto” by Drake feat. Lil Wayne.  Y.O.L.O. means YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE so enjoy life, you can be reckless NOW.  Need some examples of how it’s used: 

Person 1:  All you’ve eaten today is donuts?
Person 2:  YOLO!

Person 1:  I heard you got a rash on your lungs by rolling up some poison ivy and smoking it.
Person 2:  YOLO!

This isn’t a new principle.  Back in the 90’s a meerkat and a warthog introduced us to this in the form a catchy tune: 

It means no worries for the rest of your days.  It’s a problem free philosophy, Hakuna Matata!

This mindset tells me:  I can be reckless, destructive, selfish!  And do you know why?  You only live once so I might as well have fun, lots of fun, when?  Well, right NOW, of course!

You might think:  Nobody says that anymore!  YOLO was so, 5 years ago!

Please, let me tell you, you don’t have to say it to live it.  Just because you’ve never heard of YOLO or wouldn’t be caught dead saying it anymore, doesn't mean you’re not equally wrapped up in NOW!  It doesn't mean all your decisions aren't shaped by what makes you happy now, what makes you comfortable now, or what's easiest NOW!  We forget today’s seeds sown are tomorrows crops.  If I’m angry about the crops I’m getting today I need to look back and see what I’ve sown.



Jesus tells us:  For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  John 3:16

Very familiar passage of scripture.  But I want to point to one part of it:  “whoever believes in him…has eternal life.”  On the other side of belief is eternal life.  I don't want to insult your intelligence here but forever is a long time...Eternity is eternal!  Yet during this short time on this planet we spend very little time considering forever.  We live on this planet like its eternal and consider that place like its temporary.  Some of us are struggling today because we're trying to make earth heaven!



Jesus teaches us to pray:  your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.  Matthew 6:10

I realize that I do not frame my life with that mindset “as it is in heaven.”  I’m too wrapped up with NOW, what’s right in front of me, the brokenness of earth.  If I can live life in light of heaven, eternity, that will cause me to maximize my moments here on earth and it will infuse my life with the HOPE, PEACE, POWER, and PROMISE of HEAVEN.

Comments