MARCH MELLOW



I had a strange dream early this morning, right before I woke up.  I dreamt that I had come up with a new fitness program I called:  “March Mellow Fitness--It’s not too rigorous.  It’s a mellow march!”  It was this light marching exercise.  The problem was that people in the dream were angry thinking it was a fitness program that allowed them to eat marshmallows.  I remember saying over and over again:  “Not marshmallow; March Mellow!”

On today’s blog I feel lead to write about disappointment.  Ever been there? Promised something that wasn’t delivered?  Misunderstood what you were getting, only to be let down majorly?  Anticipating one thing only to feel bamboozled in receiving something completely wrong?  Expecting a sweet, fluffy treat only to discover a light marching exercise?  Maybe not that one.

As I write today’s blog I'm sitting at Starbucks and notice a family enjoying some coffee drinks and pastries.  Everyone but one.  One of the sons is sitting at another table, alone with his arms crossed, and a sore look on his face.  I'm not sure what happened.  All I know is that someone’s not happy.  

How do you deal with disappointment?  Do you sulk?  Complain? Explode in anger?  And why do we respond these ways?  Could it be that the root of disappointment is a feeling of lack of control?  That our plans are perfect and that we ultimately believe we know best?  I’m realizing lately that my goals and God’s goals aren’t always the same.  Mine is comforting me and His is conforming me to the image of Jesus.  Mine is marshmallows his is marching.  Disappointment is found in that gap between what’s expected and what’s experienced.  So, let me ask you:  Do you trust God? Is His plan best?  Are you willing to go with His flow? The sooner we do the sooner peace fills the gap between what’s expected and what’s experienced.  

One of my favorite passages in the Bible says:  Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

When I lean on something as flimsy as “my own understanding” things fall apart quickly.  My trust needs to rest, fiercely with all my heart) on the most steadfast Place, the Lord!  When all my ways yields to His ways, He irons it all out.

Comments