GRANDMA'S TEAR



One of my earliest memories is of being sick one early, school day morning.  I was actually too sick to go to school (NO!  I wasn’t faking it this time…this time).  I laid there with my back to the door feeling yucky.  The door opened, someone entered, and laid hands on me.  It was grandma.  Asleep or not (which I wasn’t), she came to pray for her sick grandson. Then it happened.  It was strange when it did.  I felt something wet drip on my feverish neck and rolled down.  It was warm.  “What was that?” I thought.  It kind of caused me to jump when it landed…it was unexpected.  Then it hit me:  IT’S A TEAR!  IS GRANDMA CRYING?


This drew me in.  Grandma had gotten caught up into this moment of petitioning heaven on my behalf.  This was more than a “Now I lay me down to sleep” kind of prayer I was accustom to.  This was a “touching heaven, impacting earth” moment. Grandma’s love for me became real.  Grandma’s love for God became real. God became real. 


This weekend family and friends are coming together to celebrate grandma’s 80th birthday.  It’s been several years since my grandfather’s gone to be with Jesus.  Lately during my mornings of connecting with God, touching heaven hoping to impact earth, getting caught up in the moment in His presence, and being thankful for how good God’s been to me and my family, I pray this prayer:  God, help me be a good steward of my grandparent’s legacy.  They laid such an amazing foundation for us.  They walked a path so God-honoring, so God-centered, so God-preoccupied that I want to carefully be sure to follow in that same path. 


The verse that comes to mind is one that Paul wrote to the church in Thessalonica.  He wrote:  so we cared for you. Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well. 1 Thessalonians 2:8


That’s my grandma; caring because she loves, delighting in sharing not only the Gospel but her life as well.

Comments