FUN WITH GRAFFITI



I was pulled up to a stop light and waiting for the green as a young man caught my attention walking the crosswalk right in front of me.  He stopped at the median to my left where there was a small city sign.  He reached into his pocket, pulled out a Sharpie and proceeded to "autograph" the sign.  That’s right, folks, graffiti!  I’ve seen it’s creative flare sprinkled throughout my city.  This was the first time I’ve witnessed the defacing of public property in progress.  Exhilarating!

I began to think about it, apart from this being a menace to society, I couldn’t help but see the spiritual significance:  5 or 10 years from now, this young man will walk that same street, see his name and think, “Hmm, apparently I’ve been down this way before!  My signature on this sign confirms it!”  His “tag” was a great way of keeping record of where’s he’s been.  Do we have that kind of record of where we’ve been?

I thought how forgetful we are.  Am I the only one that needs to write things down?  Sarah, my wife, could send me to the store for 3 things and I’m the guy who comes back with 4 things, none of them being the original 3 she sent me for.  This is a minor issue when it comes to eggs, butter, and creamer.  This is a serious issue when it comes to the things God speaks to you or the lessons you’ve learned on your spiritual journey.

I’ve seen it too many times:  God deposits a Word in my spirit on Sunday morning  and if it’s not written down, an hour later I’m like:  “I think that was from God.”  Days later I’m thinking:  “Was that from God or was that just me getting myself all worked up, again?”  A week later I have no memory God had ever said anything.  Why?  I never wrote it down.  I need to remind you that your enemy, the devil is an expert at stealing the seeds of truth God’s wanting to plant in your life.

The prophet Habakkuk had bad news from God.  God was sending the Babylonians to “discipline” His wayward people.  What do you do when your in the middle of a season of baaaaaad news?

1 I will stand at my watch
and station myself on the ramparts;
I will look to see what he will say to me,
and what answer I am to give to this complaint.
2 Then the Lord replied:
“Write down the revelation
and make it plain on tablets
so that a herald may run with it.
3 For the revelation awaits an appointed time;
it speaks of the end
and will not prove false.
Though it linger, wait for it;
It will certainly come
and will not delay.
Habakkuk 2:1-3
Verse 1 says LISTEN
Verse 2 says WRITE
Verse 3 says WAIT

God’s not silent.  He has a Word for your situation.  YOU NEED TO WRITE IT DOWN.  Have record of it.  Journal your journey.  The things God speaks into our heart become spiritual anchors, reference points we can always look back to.  Then the hardest part comes next, we wait.

So “tag” (no, not literally).  Go take record of what God’s revealing to you now.  Later it may prove helpful seeing where God’s brought you from.

Comments