PRESCHOOL NEMESIS



One of my earliest memories, in the prime of my preschool days, was of our family going to one of those all church park days.  This wasn’t the church we attended; it was just an event we’d been invited to.  I remember getting off the car and walking up to the festivities hoping to find kids my age.  That’s when I spotted him—a boy standing in a sand box close to where the park table and benches were.  When our eyes met I thought “friend.”  Apparently he experienced something different.  He saw “enemy!” He looked at me with so much disgust in his eyes.  I was confused.  I didn’t know him.  All I was looking for was a friendly face.  I found the face of my arch-enemy, my preschool nemesis, instead.  I didn’t even know I had one.  His hate-face turned even more sour as with one motion he lowered his body down into the sandbox, never losing his death stare in my direction and gripped two handfuls of sand.  His hate desire turned into a hate action as with this underhand motion he hurled sand at me.  What he didn’t consider was the direction of the wind which was blowing toward him and not away.  The same sand meant for me changed direction midair and flew in his direction instead  and embedding itself in his eyes.  The old Boomerang affect!  He stood there and cried, muddy tears rolling down his dusty face.

Isn’t that like the nature of sin?  Sin desire gives birth to the sin act.  And instead of hurting others it comes back to hurt me, blind me.  

James put it this way:
13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.  16 Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:13-17

My preschool nemesis was dragged away, swept up with a thought that had been planted.  It was a seed of temptation.  His own evil desire took that seed, planted it, watered it, fertilized it, cared for it and allowed it to bear fruit, giving birth to an act of sin.  He was probably confident this act was just a lashing out at another and in no way would harm him.  This is what’s misleading about the nature of sin.  My sin hurts me.

Don’t be deceived about this.  God deposits within us the good and perfect gift of life.  Don’t contaminate it with the death of sin.

One of the most misquoted verses of scripture is 1 Corinthians 10:13.  People say:  “The Bible says God will not give you more than you can handle.”  The Bible doesn’t say that.  If anything, the Bible teaches us over and over again that God gives us more than we can handle so we can learn to rely on Him.  If He never gave us more than we can handle, we’d have no need for Him.

So what does 1 Corinthians 10:13 actually say:   13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

The context is temptation.  God is faithful!  He will not allow so much temptation to be hurled your way that it’s overwhelming and you can’t help but sin.  The great Provider always has your way out.  We just need to take it.

Comments