A BLACKMAIL CHRISTMAS



My favorite Christmas story goes like this…

It was Christmas time and a boy was being bad.  Real bad.  His mother had a serious talk with him that went something like this:  “Son, you better pray to Jesus and ask for forgiveness because as of now, I don’t think your getting anything for Christmas because of how you’ve been acting.”

So late that night the young boy hopped out of bed, tip-toed down the steps to the nativity manger set that was situated in the living room.  With a quick swipe he nabbed the small figuring of Mary.  He ran up the stairs, gripping this small statue with all his might, and slipped past his parents room.  In the dark of night he hid her in a small box under his bed.  He then sneaked back to the manger set, lowered himself until he was face to face with the baby Jesus and whispered these words to the painted, porcelain, haloed, baby:  “If you ever want to see your mother again, you will give me exactly what I want for Christmas.”

I can’t say that’s effective prayer.  

Can I be honest with you?  There’s some form of this kind of prayer happening all the time:  “God if you do this for me, than I’ll do this for you.”  Heard that prayer before?  Prayed that prayer before?  “God do this thing I really NEED and I’ll do for You what I SHOULD ALREADY BE DOING FOR YOU!  And God, if You act now, I’ll also throw in…”  Are we trying to wheel and deal with Jesus as if we had some leverage with Him?  When we’re wanting something real bad that we can’t seem to attain on our own what do we do?  Do we try to make a trade with God?  Isn’t this something we learned as kids?  You have something I want so how do I get it from you?  I give you something you want.  We traded baseball cards, items from our lunch pales, or favors:  “If you don’t tell Mom and Dad what I did, I’ll do your chores for a month!”  

Here’s the problem, God doesn’t “need” anything.  Why?  God is self-sufficient.  We need; He doesn’t.  He’s nothing like the pagan gods that do more when you sacrifice more.   “God, you do this I’ll be at church this Sunday!”  God will love you in church but God doesn’t need you in church (You need church).  It’s not like Santa Claus, who begins to disappear when people stop believing.  God’s still there if you’re in church or not.  “God you do this for me and that’s an extra $20 bill for You the next time the offering plate comes around.”  God loves generosity but He doesn’t need your money (Giving is good for you).  I’m confident He’s able to finance anything being that He owns everything. God blesses because He’s good not because we’re good.  

So what do we do?  Well, first of all, live right!  Not because of what you can get from Him.  Do it because you understand the terms of the deal:  He’s God and you’re not.  But also, recognize that God’s blessings flow, not from our blackmail or deals.  God’s blessings flow out of our relationship with Him.  Need something?  Just ask!  You can ask because of your connection to Him as a son or daughter.  No blackmail or deals needed.  Would you like some verses to prove the point?  You got it:

"His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness" 2 Peter 1:3
-I have everything I need, not because I know myself or I trust the schemes of man.  I have everything I need because I KNOW HIM.  The ancient Greek word “knowledge” doesn’t refer to a casual acquaintance. It means an exact, complete, and thorough knowledge.

"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him" Psalm 34:8
-I’m blessed when I make my home in Him.  Just try Him.  You’ll see He’s good!

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows” James 1:17
-The word I’d like to point out here is “Father.”  He’s our Heavenly Father.  If earthly fathers can give decent gifts how much more can our Heavenly Father give good and perfect gifts.

“The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”  Psalms 23:1-4
-The relationship between sheep and Shepherd is a close one.  Like any good shepherd, God cares for HIS sheep.  We lack nothing:  All provisions, refreshment, guidance, and comfort comes from Him.

He said:  “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—from violent people you save me. 2 Samuel 22:2-3
-I can’t read these two verses without noticing the repeated use of 1 word:  “my.”  It’s used 10 times.  David was very clear of the personal connection He had with God and how that connection benefited his life.

Comments