TOO MUCH OIL

I was a part of a Men’s Outreach recently.  700+ showed up and about 200+ came to faith in Jesus.  It was no joke!  As I approached this massive crowd of men at the altar, eager to meet Jesus, I was stopped by an over zealous brother that was trying to place something in my hand.  I didn’t realize what it was until it was too late.  It was anointing oil.  Normally, you dab a bit on your hand and pray for people.  Not this time.  Being that I didn’t know what it was, I didn’t manage the amount pouring out with my finger.  So, I now had this puddle in my palm of fragrant oil.  I wasn’t sure what to do.  Last thing I wanted to do is leave greasy hand prints on everyone I prayed for.  I wanted to pray for people, but was trying to figure out what to do with the excess oil.  Only thing I could do was rub this oil all over my arms.  So I proceeded to rub a quarter of a bottle of anointing oil on my arms, gelling down all the hair on my arms.  I was a greasy mess!  Too much anointing!

This experience brought a couple of things to mind: 

#1 The problem of managing the amount of God’s goodness being poured in your life.

Some of us have the tendency of putting limits on God’s Spirit.  We’re content with just a dab of God.  Enough to not feel guilty, enough to give you a bit of hope, enough to make you feel like you’ve appeased God, meeting your religious quota.  But not too much that would make you a fanatic.  Not too much that He starts rearranging your life and before you know it you’re a missionary to a remote tribe of people where there’s no cell reception nor bathroom.   

Paul shares God’s intentions for us with these words: 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.  20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, Ephesians 3:16-20 (NKJV)
·         God wants to strengthen you through His Spirit
·         God wants Christ to make His home in you
·         God wants you to understand the fullness of His love
·         God wants you to be filled with His fullness
·         God wants to exceed your expectations beyond anything you could ever imagine

Are you lacking strength?  The amount that could only come from the “riches of His glory”?  Are you unable to comprehend a love so wide it’s unable to exclude even you?  A love so long it was with you all the way back into your past and will follow you into your future?  A love so deep it reached you in the pit of sin?  A love so high that it’s able to get you to heaven?  Have you been radically shocked with God’s ability to do the impossible in your life?  If not, my friend, this is what happens when we limit the fullness of God in our lives.  This is what happens when we fail to allow Christ to dwell in us.  The more of God in my life, the more He heals, strengthens; the more I understand His love, the more He amazes me.

#2 The problem of keeping the anointing to yourself. 

Friend, we’re not supposed to hold in the overflow of what God’s blessed us with.  No hoarding hope!  There’s a problem when we’re unwilling to leave handprints of what God’s doing in us on others.  We’re called to be HOLE-Y people!  That’s not a misprint.  I mean people with holes.  What God gives us we give away!  Less bowl like more funnel like!

John put it this way:  19 We love because he first loved us. 1 John 1:19 (NIV)
What do we do with the love He first gave us?  We give it away.

Jesus tells us:  12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. Matthew 6:12 (NIV)
What do we do with the forgiveness He gives us?  We use it to forgive others.

In John 15, Jesus tells His disciples:  “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5 (NIV)
What do we do with the much fruit we bear?  I tell you what we don’t do—we don’t eat it ourselves.  Fruit isn’t for the branch.  The fruit is for the nourishment and blessing of others.  A branch that eats its own fruit is diseased.  Give it away!


So, may you fill all your life with all of God.  And may the overflow of His goodness bless everyone around you.

Comments