FIGHTING A BEAR


In Bible College I made a friend that I consider a close friend to this day, 20 years later.  We check in often to see what we’re up to.  Back in the Bible College days we were a crazy pair.  We were always up to something off the wall, crazy.  We kept our fellow students entertained with our hijinks (and probably worried our school administration regarding the future of the church).

Several years ago I was invited back to speak a chapel service of my old Bible College.  I was honored to find out that my close friend would be introducing me to the student body.  It just so happens that he was the college librarian (His career was something I never saw coming…never).  He’d prepared this extravagant intro that made me laugh so hard I couldn’t compose myself to go up and speak.  This is it word for word:


“Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my honor to introduce a man who made an impact on the campus of LABI College before it was cool to come here.
He has written songs and conducted choirs.
He once played a lawyer in a great fake court case titled, “Non-protection of the toilet seat cover,” held on the second floor of the Resident Life lobby hall room.
When he first stepped in the scene at LABI College in August of 1996, he was already headlining every Friday night in churches across Southern California.
He once told a story about how he wrestled a bear while beating me in a one on one game of basketball 7 (me) to 14 (him) declaring him the winner.
He is named after the chosen people of God.
He is a writer for pastorisraelcruz.blogspot.com
He took the infamous “Room 112” from the “Players Club” to the PRAYERS Club!
He is the Senior Pastor (along with his wife Sarah) of New Beginnings Church in Fresno (Easton), California.
Without further ado, LABI College give it up for Revered, Head-Deacon, Apostle… Pastor Israel Cruz!”

First of all, let me say titles like “Apostle” are not anything I’d ever been called nor call myself.

Over lunch I hit him up about the whole bear story, being that I couldn’t remember what that was about.  As he explained, the memory came back:  He had wanted to play basketball.  Me not so much because he’s easily 6 to 8 inches taller than me and actually played basketball.  I on the other hand was a baller novice.  What I did have was a skill in storytelling.  I didn’t want to lose so as we played I weaved this extravagant tail all in an attempt to draw him in and get his mind off the game.  It worked.  I made basket after basket as my story went on.  Before he knew it, the game was over.  A game he should have easily won was lost because of the awesome power of distraction.

Friends, the enemy is doing the same.  If he can distract us with lies, smoke and mirrors, diversion he can make us lose what we should easily be winning.  Peter warned us with these words:  Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  1 Peter 5:8 (NIV)

I want to point out 3 kinds of distraction:
1. The DISTRACTION of OTHERS
-When kings went off to war King David was distracted by a bathing Bathsheba…
-King Solomon was distracted by his idol worshipping wives.  He built a temple for the Lord but later in his life he also built places of idol worship for his wives…

It's too easy get sidetracked from your purpose when your attention is on others.  It’s like not driving in your lane and crossing into someone else's.  You have a lane, stay in it.  Some of us are distracted because we’re constantly comparing ourselves to others or worrying about what others think.  You can’t pursue your purpose when your concerned with someone else’s.  Paul gave us this insight:  We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. 2 Corinthians 10:12 (NIV)  It’s not wise.  You’re missing your amazing God-given purpose to follow someone else’s ill fitting purpose.

2. The DISTRACTION of CIRCUMSTANCES
-Peter was distracted from his Jesus gaze during a water stroll because his attention shifted to the wind and waves…

It’s too easy to allow what’s happening around us to quench what God’s trying to do in or through us.  The Children of Israel allowed circumstances to stop them from entering the Promise Land the first time around.  There was a self-inflicted 40 year delay to God’s best for them.  Why?  The distraction of circumstances.  In their minds, ex-slaves stood no chance against walled up cities and giants.  Their perspective lacked God.  Make sure your’s doesn’t.

3. The DISTRACTION of TEMPTATION
-Satan attempted to distract Jesus from His purpose during his 40 day fast…

James gives us these vital words to overcoming the enemies temptation:  Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  James 4:7 (NIV)

Comments