JESUS ON CLEARANCE


Long before I pastored I worked in the wonderful world of retail.  I had the best job:  Markdowns!  Twice a week I started my work day by strapping on this belt with a pricing gun holster on one side and a sticker printer on the other.  Me and two others would mosey on out to the markdown department of the week and “gun down” prices, slashing without mercy.  I was a part of the team people loved to see.  We’d scan everything in that department and if an item was “marked down” a small sticker would spit out of the printer on our hip.  We even had “Markdown groupies” who knew the markdown days and followed behind us as we scanned things so they could have first dibs on the fresh deals.  One time I had someone ask me if I could scan an item to see what the price was.  Apparently, they weren’t happy with the price because they proceeded to haggle for a lower price.  I thought, this isn’t a yard sale.  I respectfully explained:  “I don’t make that call.  The machine does.”  Walking away was another dissatisfied customer.

I’ve come to realize that people don’t like paying full price for anything.  We want a deal.  We want a discount.  We want it on sale or on clearance.  We haggle, we wheel and deal, we bargain.  Why?  We work hard for our money and try not to part ways with it too soon. 

Friends, I have no issue with seeking out a markdown deal while shopping.  What I do have is a problem with people looking for Jesus on clearance.  You know what I’m talking about—People refusing to pay full price for Jesus’ best:  “How can I get the full benefits of Jesus without having to give Him all.”  “I want His blessings but I don’t want it to cost me anything.”  “Can I be a follower while doing my own thing?”  “I’m looking for a deal.  Is there like a coupon for free stuff and no prayer necessary?”

This is where the old principle we grew up hearing needs to be applied:  “You get what you pay for.”  You remember that, right?  The Bible is filled with promises.  We love promises.  We love reminding God of His promises:  “YOU SAID…I’M HOLDING YOU TO YOUR WORD!”  But please don’t forget, some of His promises are conditional.  It’s the “IF…THEN” principle:
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”  (2 Chronicles 7:14) 
"Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession." (Exodus 19:5) 
"If you make the Most High your dwelling – even the LORD, who is my refuge – then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent." (Psalm 91:9-10)

There are also “IF” scriptures where the “THEN” is implied: 
Jesus said: "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." (Matthew 6:14-15)
Jesus said: "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." (Matthew 17:20)
Jesus said: "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

I submit to you today that the degree of LIFE we’re experiencing is directly proportionate to the degree of SURRENDER in our lives.  I believe you’re as blessed as you’d like to be.  The more we give HIM the more HE redeems, restores, and renews.  What if the fear you're experiencing right now is an indicator of where you’re not trusting HIM?  What if the pain your feeling is the exact place you need to release to GOD?  What if your worry is the place you need to surrender?


A couple of years ago I bought some cheap shoes.  The first day I wore them I had a shooting pain going up my leg.  You get what you pay for.  God’s best may cost you.  But it’s worth it.  Jesus put it this way:  24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.  (Matthew 16:24-27)  LIFE is found in surrender.  LIFE isn’t found in playing “keep away” with God.  You need LIFE in your marriage?  Give it to God!  You need His LIFE for your kids?  Give them to God!  You need LIFE in your finances?  Give it to God!

Comments