MEAN TEACHER


Elementary School these days seems so different than what I grew up in.  I grew up in the 80’s:  There were clear winners and losers in the 80’s (I never got a participation trophy for just showing up).  Our playground equipment wasn't “kid-friendly” (all steal not the plush plastic stuff you see today).  And our teachers were mean…real mean!

I had a teacher in the second grade who took mean to a whole new level:  Her smile was more of a scowl.  She seemed to hate kids.  So she pursued the best career for someone who hates kids, she decided to teach them.  And, believe it or not she was a hitter.

I was somewhat of a daydreamer back then.  One day I was off in another world, midway through an epic daydream when I was suddenly smacked out of it.  That’s right folks,  my second grade teacher smacked me upside the back of my head with a:  “Israel, snap out of it!”  She smacked the dream right out of me.

Can I warn you today—that the enemy desires to do the same:  smack the dream right out of you!

I believe that God has placed within each of us a dream, a life plan, a goal, a purpose.  It’s bigger than us.  It’s beyond the reach of our limitations.  It’s His best for us:  Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. (Ephesians 3:20)

Also:  The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. (John 10:10a)
There’s an enemy whose purpose is to steal that purpose, that dream from you.

God gave Joseph a dream and what came next was everything and the kitchen sink thrown at him that could have easily caused him to abdicate the dream.  But Joseph remained faithful until the end.

Satan tempted Jesus after 40 days and nights of fasting.  The purpose of the three temptations were invitations for Jesus to abdicate His purpose.  The enemy attempted to smack the dream out of Jesus.  What did Jesus do?  He smacked back with the truth:  “It is written…” (Matthew 4:4)

Friend, let me invite you to hold on to the Truth of God’s Word.  This is your weapon against the lies of the enemy:

He wants to smack the dream of a better marriage out of you…
He wants to smack the dream of a stronger financial position out of you…
He wants to smack the dream of a saved son/daughter out of you…
He wants to smack the dream of a better home life out of you…
He wants to smack the dream of a healed body out of you…
He wants to smack the dream of being debt free out of you…
He wants to smack the dream of owning your own home out of you…
He wants to smack the dream of starting your own business out of you…
He wants to smack the dream of writing a book, starting a ministry, getting committed to church out of you…

He says, “Snap out of it!  Face ‘reality!’  Accept what is instead of what will never be!”

Friend, smack back with:  It is written…
No weapon forged against me will prevail… (Isaiah 54:17)
If I delight myself in the Lord, He will give me the desires of my heart… (Psalms 37:4)
If I trust in the Lord with all my heart, lean not on my own understanding, in all my ways acknowledge Him, He shall direct my path… (Proverbs 3:5-6)
If I remain in Him I will bear much fruit.  Apart from Him I can do nothing… (John 15:5)
If I train up my child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it… (Proverbs 22:6)
He was wounded for my transgressions, bruised for my iniquities, the punishment that brought me peace, was on Him and by his wounds I am healed… (Isaiah 53:5)
If I wait upon the Lord my strength shall be renew; I’lll mount up with wings as eagles; I’ll run, and not be weary; and I’ll walk, and not faint… (Isaiah 40:31)

Friend, don’t give up or give in.  Ruthlessly pursue God’s best for you.

Comments