BAD ISRAEL



I was at Office Depot a couple of weeks ago to pick up some things for the church.  It wasn’t too busy.  I was close to sticking some final buys in my cart when I heard this pleading cry: “Israel!  Israel! Get off the floor, Israel!”  I clearly wasn’t on the floor.  I turned around and noticed a father trying to get his toddler up off the ground.  This had to be a first for me.  I’d never heard my name in a crowd, when it wasn’t me being called (Israel isn’t a common name. I can never find my name on those novelty key chains or mini license plates you see on vacation.).  The more I watched little Israel, the more I noticed that little Israel was completely out of control.  His father would call him over and Israel would run the other way.  His father would tell him to get off the floor and Israel would stay sprawled on the ground.  His father would try to get him by the hand and Israel would pull away.  It ended with Israel literally being drug out of Office Depot.

Toddler Israel was being real bad.  I wanted to pull him aside and tell him, “Israel! You’re making us, Israels look bad.  Either change your name or change your ways!” 

That evening I was thinking about my day and “Bad Toddler Israel” came to mind. I was having the king of self-righteous moments!  Thoughts went to the father who was clearly doing a lousy job with “Bad Israel.”  I thought about how uncontrollable children are these days.  I thought about how my mom would never put up with toddler shenanigans!  I thought about how broken society is that’s created an ecosystem that breeds “Bad Israels.”

Then I had this thought:  Israel! You’ve been known to be a “Bad Israel” as well.  How many times has the Father said, “Israel get up!” and you allowed yourself to stay down.  How many times has the Father called you over to Him and you would run the other way.  How many times had the Father tried to get you by the hand you pulled away.  How many times has He drug you out of a situation. 

I came to the realization, I’ve been known to be out of control.  I’ve been a “Bad Israel” as well.

We’ve been preaching through Haggai at church and we came across this verse:  Thus says the Lord of hosts: “Consider your ways! Haggai 1:7 (NKJV)

I realize I’m good at considering other people’s ways.  Not so good at considering my own.  It’s the difference between the mirror and the magnifying glass.  Some of us walk around with the magnifying glass, judging other’s shortcomings.  Instead of the mirror, facing our shortcomings.  We don’t like facing our mess.  The reason is because we can’t fix it.  The good news I want to leave you with is this—It’s not up to you to fix it.  That’s God’s work.  He’s still changing unruly children.  He’s still transforming people by His grace.  So, consider your ways.  Yes, it may be hard to face.  But when you do, invite Him in, yield to His transforming process.

Comments