MR ROGERS


I feel we don’t have an accurate view of Jesus these days.  I’m afraid we’ve Photoshopped Him, softening his toughness, in order to make him more palatable for the masses.  We’ve turned Him into a Mr. Rogers with a beard.  One who always talks calm and kindly.  One who always has a smile on His face.  Soft spoken and not at all intimidating.  Like a grandpa, always finding change behind your ear and playing “I’ve got your nose.”  He's old fashion and a bit clueless about modern struggles (Still trying to figure out how to get “those app-thingys” to work on his flip phone).

Here’s the problem, there is a real enemy who really wants to kill, steal, and destroy.  When in trouble, it never be Mr. Rogers I cry out for rescue.  He’s a “nice guy” but he’s not known to be a tough one (Those statements online about him being a military sniper are not true).  I need a Jesus fierce enough to take out the enemy of my soul.  I need a Jesus big enough for my life altering troubles.  I need a Jesus relevant for my modern struggles.

I heard this amazing quote from an English writer from the early 1900’s: 

“The people who hanged Christ never, to do them justice, accused him of being a bore - on the contrary, they thought him too dynamic to be safe. It has been left for later generations to muffle up that shattering personality and surround him with an atmosphere of tedium. We have efficiently pared the claws of the Lion of Judah, certified him "meek and mild" and recommended him as a fitting household pet for pale curates and pious old ladies.” –Dorothy L Sayers

What is she saying?  We’ve turned the Lion of Judah into a house cat.  But that’s not accurate.  Yes, He’s loving but He’s also fierce.  Yes, He’s good, but that doesn’t mean He was always nice (Read how He dealt with the religious Pharisees). Yes, He’s our Hiding Place, protecting us from trouble, and surrounding us with songs of deliverance but Revelation gives us also this picture of Jesus…

11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.” He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: king of kings and lord of lords. Revelation 19:11-16 (NIV)


That’s the Jesus I want fighting my battles!

Comments