NACHO LIBRE


I have a nephew that’s learning to walk.  Understandably, he stumbles, a lot, which is normal. I’m confident that as he matures, his walk will look different.  Less stumbling, falling, and wobbly steps. It be sad if at 18 he still hadn’t mastered the walk.  I imagine it be embarrassing going on a date: “Hey girl, let’s go for a walk.  Hold me steady, girl.  You’re walking too fast.  Whoops! I fell down, girl. Give me a sec, here.  It takes me time to get up again.”  Maturity and growth is marked by our ability to move forward, progress in our abilities.

This is true in our physical development and our spiritual development as well.  The evidence of your maturity, progressing as a Christian, will manifest in your walk.  And one of the greatest struggles we have in walking right is in an area we tend to minimize the most, our talk.

James tells us: “We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.” James 3:2

James is saying here that one of the greatest indicators of our maturity is our ability to not be faulty with what we say.  Or as Jesus said: “A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.” Luke 6:45

I’m just giving what I’m storing.  If I’m storing good, you’re getting good from me.  But if I’m storing bad, well you know what you’re going to get.  My speech is simply responding to its environment, the environment I’ve created.  If I change what I’m putting in, I’ll change what I’m giving out.

I used to have a talking Nacho Libre pen on my desk.  I’d press the cap in and the pen would say: “Caman, don be craisy.” Press it again and it say, “Hey! Take it easy!” Or, “Nachooooooo!” Or, “Hug hug, kiss kiss, hug hug, big kiss, little hug, kiss kiss, little kiss.” Or, “Chancho! I need to borrow some sweats!”

No matter how many times I pressed that pen, I could never get it to say anything but what it was programed to say.  When it was made, the makers stored certain phrases in it.  It could only say what was stored in it. 


Again, my point is, you’re saying what you’re storing.  Store something good and you’ll give something good.  Don’t allow this area of your life to stunt your spiritual growth.

Comments