GETTING SICK


I was sick last week.  Real sick.  Stay at home all day, sick.  Binge-sleeping through Netflix shows, sick.  The highlight of my sick week was a visit from my mom.  I’m not sure what I looked like when she arrived:  Hair, wild.  Facial hair, shabby.  Clothing, hitting the lounge-wear hard.  At my worst, Mom shows up.  Her presence alone was amazing!  But she doesn’t show up empty handed.  She comes with goodies: 
  1. Homemade chicken soap (And not a small bowl.  She delivers a trough of homemade goodness).
  2. Saltines (It takes me being sick to remind me how awesome this simple snack is).
  3. Ginger Ale (The greatest of all ales).
  4. And Drugs (No, not the illegal kind).


Isn’t that a lot like Jesus.  At our worst, He shows up.  At the point when others didn’t want to face us, He does.  In our mess, He meets us.  And not only that, His presence would have been plenty enough.  He also comes with these amazing benefits:
  1. He banishes fear: “My Spirit is abiding in your midst; do not fear!” Haggai 2:5
  2. He protects: “Is not the LORD in our midst? Calamity will not come upon us.” Micah 3:11
  3. He firmly establishes us and helps us: “God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns.” Psalms 46:5
  4. He revives:  "I dwell on a high and holy place, And also with the contrite and lowly of spirit In order to revive the spirit of the lowly And to revive the heart of the contrite.” Isaiah 57:15
  5. He gives joy: “In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.” Psalms 16:11

Comments