FREE SAMPLES

I had a pastor’s meeting at my local mall’s food court several weeks ago.  I walked down the row of food establishments trying to figure out what I was in the mood for, passing a corndog place where the staff wears colorful uniforms.  I was stopped by a person handing out teriyaki chicken samples.  “No, thank you,” I responded as I walked by.  I came near the end to a Chinese food chain known for quick meals and a panda bear mascot.  As I waited my turn I noticed a man to my right.  It was clearly his turn next, but the Quick Food Panda staff guy skipped the man to my right and asked me what I wanted to order.  I looked over to the guy at my right and cautiously ordered.  Panda-guy put my food on my plate and asked the guy to my right if he was finally ready to order.  The guy to my right said, “Hmmm, I think I’d like to try a sample of that one next,” as he pointed to one of their entrees.  Panda-guy responded, “Sir, I’m going to have to ask you to leave.  All you’ve wanted to do is try samples.  You’re not ordering anything.  You got to go.” Awkward.

The guy to my right missed the point of samples:  Samples aren’t a meal.  Samples are just a taste, inviting you to have more.

I was thinking about the people at my church this week.  Considering how many come Sunday just for samples.  Never enjoying partaking of the fullness of Christ.

John begins his Gospel account not in the manger but in Genesis.  In describing Jesus, he says: In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:4-5 (NIV)

John speaks of Jesus as a living Light that darkness stands no chance against.  Darkness is a real problem for those disconnected from Jesus…
I’ve been known to get lost in darkness…
I’ve been known to be afraid in darkness…
I’ve been known to get hurt in darkness…

So, Christmas is all about the Light Switch turning on.  A Light that triumphs over darkness.  John later wrote:   This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:5-7 (NIV)


My concern is for those who come close enough to the Light just to get warm.  Sitting through a Sunday service and feeling the warmth of His presence through worship and the Word.  Only to go back out into the cold.  My point, don’t just visit the Light.  Live in the Light.  Don’t just sample Jesus.  Go all in with Jesus.

Comments