ROLLER SKATING


Growing up, our local roller rink was called Roller Towne. It wasn’t a place I visited often, so I never really mastered the fine art of roller skating.  I was the one kid who hugged the wall as I worked my way around the rink.  As I white-knuckled that safety wall I longed for the openness and adventure of the center of the rink, a place to roll fast and free.  The wall was boring.  But there I stayed because I lacked the skills to let go of the wall and get my serious stake on.

But I figured something out, the last skate of the night was the couple skate.  Perhaps this was my one change to release that wall of restriction and head into that sweeping expanse known as the center of the rink. As I took countless rotations around the rink I scanned the rink for ladies with serious skating skills. So, I approached the first “lucky lady,” “Hey girl! You and me! Couple skate! Let’s make it happen!”  I didn’t make a love connection on that first ask. Eventually, a skilled skater agreed to be my skate date for that one final song.  I released my grip from the wall, grabbed her hand and cautiously rolled toward the center rink! FREEDOM! Skates gliding over that smooth surface, feeling the warm glow of those 1980’s disco lights.  It was pure magic.  What I couldn’t experience on my own was made possible with a helper.

Some of us are stuck in the constant cycle of boring wall life.  But you and I were meant for more.  But our natural skills are limited.  We can only release the wall as we grab the hand of our Divine Helper.

Jesus put I this way:  But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, theHelperwill not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you…15 All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that [the Spirit] takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.John 16:7, 15 (NASB)

I don’t think we realize how much help we really need.  We got issues!  We’re a mess! We are extremely limited apart from the help of the Spirit.  In this verse, Jesus gives us this beautiful promise of a constant help. We cannot live out this victorious Christian life without our connection to the Spirit of God.  So, grab His hand, release the comfortable and follow Him into the adventurous unknown.  He specializes in restoring the fragmented, scattered pieces of our lives into something great. When we welcome the Holy Spirit's work in our lives, and yield to His direction, we have access to all the Father desires for us.

Comments