THE CLOWN

Image result for CLOWN

I was a church kid who grew up in a Latin church.  Here are a couple of lessons I learned early on:  

  • Beneath a pew was a great place to sleep.
  • Flannel graph was a valid Bible learning medium.
  • Communion wasn’t snack time for adults.
  •  A tamale sale can pay for anything.

One Sunday morning, at the age of 4 or 5, our church had a Kid’s Sunday.  All of us youngsters sat on the floor in front of the first-row pews.  Anticipation was high.  I’d never experienced a Kid’s Sunday.  Not sure what to expect.  But the way it was sold to me, it sounded like it was going to be the event of the year. 

The time had come, the special guest was announced, and we were waiting for them to appear.  Then suddenly from the back of the church I heard a honking of a horn and a clown came running down the center aisle.  I learned something new about myself that day—I don’t like clowns.  You might.  Not my thing. So, this clown comes running out and I’m petrified.  I jump to my feet, scream as loud as I could and frantically run to my mom (again, not a fan of clowns).

The sad truth, this clown had come to share the Good News of Jesus with me.  I was terrified and wasn’t having it.

Reminds me of that first Christmas:  8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” Luke 2:8-12 (NIV)

What the shepherds were afraid of that night, was actually a light sent to bring them hope.  I was thinking how we, at times, have the tendency to run from help:  the doctor, a shot (Not the bang, bang kind.  The poke, poke kind), the dentist, vegetables.  And for many, Jesus is on that list.  He’s after you.  Not to harm you. Not to destroy you.  Not to condemn you.  Not to ruin your fun.  We don’t need to fear Him.  The Good News of Christmas is the kind that will cause GREAT JOY for all people:  6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.Isaiah 9:6 (NIV)

This GOOD NEWS that causes GREAT JOY is so amazing it takes these 4 names to describe:

  • WONDERFUL COUNSELOR:  He’s got answers for all your problems.
  • MIGHTY GOD:  He can!  Do what? Do anything!  He’s mighty!
  • EVERLASTING FATHER:  He’s the Author of Eternity.  In other words, He’s the Creator, Himself!  He’s the One who created something out of nothing.  He can still do it today.  You got a “nothing” where you need a “something”?  He can do that!
  • PRINCE OF PEACE:  He’s the Peace Giver.  You need peace?  Connect the Prince of Peace.  He’s the One who can quiet the storms of life.
This Christmas I encourage you, don’t run from Jesus. Draw near.

Comments